Events in the city
|“Rear window” by Alfred Hitchcock In the framework of the tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. The Productive Decade of the 50’s”, organized by the Summer Theatre of the City of Athens “Cine Stella”, presents the film “Rear window” by Alfred Hitchcock
Admission: 6 euro, 4 euro for student/child/senior- Place: Summer Theatre “Cine Stella”- Address: Tenedou 34, Kypseli 8.30 p.m.
|“Ippeis” by Aristophanes Theatric Diadromi in collaboration with the Agrinio DH.PE.THE. present the political and timely comedy by Aristophanes “Ippeis”, translated by K. X. Myri, directed by Vasilis Nikolaidis, with Pavlos Haikalis and Giorgos Armenis holding the two leading roles.
Admission: 10 € Tickets will be sold at the City of Athens Cultural Centre (50 Academias st) Monday to Friday 9:00-14:30 (tel. 210 3612920).Tickets will be sold at the Attiko Alsos Theatre only on the day of the performance 19:00-21:00- Place: Attiko Alsos Theatre*- Address: Entrance from Karpenisioti st, Attiko Alsos 9:00 p.m.
|“Observatory Pentelis” explore the universe with the help of the astronomer N. Matsopoulos and enjoy the night’s starry sky from the telescope of the National Observatory.
Admission: 5€ Place: Observatory Pentelis- Address: Metaxa Street ** 8:00 p.m.
“Picnic” organised by Great Parenthood Greece at the National Gardens. Opportunity to meet other parents living in Athens in a fun setting, including a raffle, craft workshop and a self-massage demonstration.
Admission: free Place: National garden (Syntagma) 11:00 a.m.
|“The Artist’s Glance” by the polish artist Grzegorz Wnek. In the Polish artist’s work, painting returns without remorse to the tradition of revival, leaving behind complexes and inhibitions related to ties to the past and retaining the intensity of the belief that what it has to say is more timely than ever.
Admission: free Place: Frissiras Museum Address: 3&7 Monis Asteriou, Syntagma.
|“Psarantonis” Antonis Xilouris is widely known to all of us as “Psarantonis” in melodies and music with his personal stigma and the whispers of the Cretan soil.
Admission: 10€ Tickets are sold at the City of Athens Cultural Centre (50 Academias st), Monday to Friday 10:00-15:00 (tel. 210 3612920).
Tickets will be sold at the “Dora Stratou” Theatre only on the day of the performance 19:00-21:00 –Place: “Dora Stratou” Theatre- Address: Filopappou Beltway 9:00 p.m.
|“U2 Out of control party” U2 tribute party. The big moment has arrived! The U2 comes first in Athens and in Greece for a second, after 13 years. This is the best reason to celebrate the Greek fan club of the Irish band! Wainting for the concert (3 september 2010)
Admission: Free Place: Mataora Club ( Gazi) Address: 116 Iera odos and Karamiko str. 10:30 p.m.
|“The Godson” A play with six actors, singers and a piano in a music banquet with songs from the musical “Life is a Cabaret”, “All that Jazz”, “Big Spender” “Marie de Buenos Aires etc), as well as well known melodies (Hatzidakis, Theodorakis, Kraounakis etc), also songs from the old Greek revue and the operetta. The play is embellished with texts that connect music and its periods.
Free Admission Place: Attiko Alsos Theatre* Address: Entrance from Karpenisioti st, Attiko Alsos 9:00 p.m.
Events @ AthenStyle
On our legendary Roof top Bar with the BEST views of Athens (this is not pretentious… come see yourself!!) welcomes you for a cold draft Mythos beer after all that sight seeing!
Happy Hour: 8:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
- The Artist’s Glance paintings by the polish artist Grzegorz Wnek Frissiras Museum 3&7 Monis Asteriou, Syntagma. Free. Until 30/08
- Yang Fudong, Seven Intellectuals in a Bamboo Forest and other stories Fudong creates films, videos and photographs full of psychological tension and melancholy. National Museum of Contemporany Art Vas. Georgiou 17-19, entrance from Rigillis St. 3€ – 1,5€ (students) Thu afternoon free. Hours: Tue to Sun 11.00-19.00. Thu 11.00-22.00. Until 5/09
- Carte Blanche an installation in progress created by the visitors based on the ‘blank’ surrendering of the gallery space to all those who wish to participate. Everyone is welcome to create a work-message.TAF(Monastiraki, 5 normanou str.,) Until 05/09 Adimission: Free
- Invisible cities Kalfayan Galleries 11 Haritos St. Kolonaki. Until 18/09
- New Spanish artists in Athens Work of four young artists who have lived in Athens during last year Estudio Ammeba 21 Zacharitsa. Metro Fix. Until 16/09
- A Journey to Cavafy’s Alexandria Anna Boghiguian’s watercolours act as guides, to re-read Cavafy’s poems and travel to the magical landscape of Alexandria. Museum of Islamic Art 2 Ag. Asomaton & 12 Dipilou. Monastiraki. €5 Until 19/09
- NUDS Cycladic Sarah Lucas´creations at the Museum of Cycladic Art, Bas. Sofias and Irodotou st. (MM Evangelismos) Daily 10 am to 5 pm – Tuesday closed. 7 euro. Until 12/09
- SCENES from daily life in Antiquity in Grece at the Museum of Cycladic Art, Bas. Sofias and Irodotou st. (MM Evangelismos) Daily 10 am to 5 pm – Tuesday closed. 7 euro. Until 12/09
- Traditional Greek Dance Festival Every summer, Greek dancers perform at the renowned Dora Stratou Theatre to the backdrop of the Athenian Acropolis on Philopappou Hill. The dancers wear traditional costume and perform songs and dances which have been in existence for 2500 years. Dora Stratou was a Greek folk enthusiast who dedicated her life to researching, recording and preserving her country’s indigenous folk culture. With this in mind she founded a theatre, now known as the Dora Stratou Theatre, more than 35 years ago. The famous Greek painter Spyros Vassiliou helped her design it and since its launch the resident dance troupes have toured over 22 countries. Address: Amalias 26, Athens – Admission: 15 euro– Sat 9:30pm, Sun 8:15pm
HOW TO GO:
From Monastiraki Sq. you can take Green Metro. Stop:Marousi Metro Station. You can take the bus with number 446 “MAROUSI – PALAIA PENTELI” from ‘Plateia Amaroussiou’ near the Marousi Metro Station. The closest bus station to Penteli’s
Astronomical Station (five minutes on foot) is ‘Penteli Square’.
Attico Alsos* OASA, the bus company, has set up a bus specifically for the Attiko Alsos Theater. In September the bus leaves from Platia Kaniggos at 19:30 (7:30) and returns from the Attiko Alsos park at 23:00 (11:00 pm). Entrance to the theater is from Karpenisioti street at Galatsiou (Tourkovounia). Access to the theater from the Kifisias – Katchaki interchange via Mouson Street (in front of LHTO) and from Patision street via Galatsiou Boulevard, Protopapadakis.